Victoria Simpson
Miracle of miracles, my lovely reader...

I have time this day to write a review AND the writing bug has seen fit to bite me.  So, lovlies, let's look at The September Society by the incredibly talented Charles Finch (Yale and Oxford, people.  He got the education that still haunts the misty corners of my dreams).   Without further ado, I present my much delayed review of The September Society.


This novel is the sequel to the much beloved and praised A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries).  That novel must be read first.  Really, reading a mystery series out of order is a no-no.  It was nominated for an Agatha Award, so you know it's worth your time if you're into the mystery genre like I am.  


This novel, like its predecessor, is about gentleman detective Charles Lenox in Victorian England (so, naturally I'm all over this stuff).  Here's a blurb from Goodreads:


"In the small hours of the morning one fall day in 1866, a frantic widow visits detective Charles Lenox. Lady Annabelle's problem is simple: her beloved son, George, has vanished from his room at Oxford. When Lenox visits his alma mater to investigate, he discovers a series of bizarre clues, including a murdered cat and a card cryptically referring to the September Society." "Then, just as Lenox realizes that the case may be deeper than it appears, a student dies, the victim of foul play." What could the September Society have to do with it? What specter, returned from the past, is haunting gentle Oxford? Lenox, with the support of Lady Jane and his other devoted friends in London's upper crust, must race to discover the truth before it comes searching for him, and dangerously close to home.



I found the novel very entertaining.  Charles Lenox is like the functional Sherlock Holmes.  However, I can't lie and say that it was fast-paced.  It wasn't.  It was dreadfully slow in the beginning.  So. Slow.  I was getting a bit antsy because I love Charles Lennox, really I do--probably because I picture him looking like the picture below:






But really, all joking aside, I do love him.   He's very brilliant.  And I love the characters.  But they were stuck a plot that ran like a slow molasses.  And then Dallington comes along and all is fine.  JUST HOLD ON FOR DALLINGTON!!!!


But really, it is very well written and very enlightening.  I liked his first one better, to be honest, but I still really enjoyed this one.  I got a nice education on Parliament which is very helpful, I must say.


The setting takes place in Oxford and London--the descriptions of both are fantastic.  


I give it 3 and a half out of 5.  


I wish this was better written, but alas, my dear reader, certain packing duties and a bubble bath are calling to me.  It will be my very last luxury, you know, before I head out to perform my summer duty at a camp.  I leave you Victoria and shall return as:






...well, hopefully not. 


Adieu, dear reader!  That's quite a parting image I left you with, eh?
0 Responses

Post a Comment